*** Our penny party is coming up on March 9. Gently used items are needed and appreciated. Please stop them off in the parish hall on Sunday mornings, or call the office at 609-886-5960 to arrange for a different time. Thank you.
*** Our next Wednesday Night Adult Formation Program begins on February 13 at 6 PM. The book for this series is C. S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. Please contact Leslie in the office at 609-886-5960 if you want to order a copy of the book. It is approximately $12 from Amazon. It also is available for Kindle. All are welcome. You need not be a member of our church to join us. ( … The Screwtape Letters is a very usual book. It is a series of letters from a fictional senior demon, Screwtape, to his nephew, a junior "tempter" named Wormwood, advising him on ways of securing the eternal damnation of a man, known as "the Patient." Screwtape gives Wormwood detailed advice on methods of destroying faith and promoting sin in the Patient, thereby hoping to forever separate this man from God. In a very ironic way, this book is a look at our own weaknesses and our relationship with God.)
*** Join us for “Pizza Church” at 7 PM on Wednesdays at Roman’s Pizza House, Bayshore and Town Bank. Pizza Church is a time of conversation and fellowship. There’s no agenda - just a time to gather and talk about what's going on in our lives and the world.
*** There are free online Bible studies based on the scripture readings for each Sunday. These studies, both in English and Spanish, are prepared by our seminarians. Please click here.
*** “Giving something up” for Lent? How about sharing a little time and helping as a greeter, reader, server, singer, or altar guild member on Sundays? Or perhaps visiting our shut-ins, or helping at our thrift store or food pantry during the week? Even if you can help out with a one-time event such as a fundraiser, that will be a big, big help to us all. We do a lot for one another and folks in our community! We need helpers … like YOU! Please think about it and speak with Mother Lisa or one of our faithful volunteers. Thanks very much for whatever you can do.
*** Please join us for our 2019 concerts here at Saint Barnabas. All concerts are on Sunday afternoons at 3 PM in our church. Light refreshments will be served. As in the past, there is no change for these events. However, freewill offerings for our outreach ministries are gratefully appreciated. All are welcome! Please invite your family and friends.
> January 20 - Thomas Werkheiser, singer/songwriter
> February 17 - Phil Goldenberg, classical guitar
> March 17 - Bach Birthday Bash with Marcia Cravis, Music of Johann Sebastian Bach for one and two harpsichords
> April 28 - Judy Ann Curtis, soprano and John Curtis, piano: Art Songs of the Romantic Period with premiers by local composer Koren Cowgill
> May 5 - Teri Hislop, flute, and Friends
Please click here for our 2019 concert flyer.
*** Narcotics Anonymous (NA) hosts meetings four times a week in our hall: Mondays at 6 PM, Wednesdays at 6 PM, and Fridays at 12 Noon and 7:30 PM. All are welcome.
*** Saint Barnabas by-the-Bay has joined with Saint Mark and All Saints Church in Galloway and Holy Trinity Church in Ocean City to form the Atlantic Convocation Youth Group. This group is for all youth from 6th to 12th grade. Our young people also are always welcome to bring their friends. The group meets monthly on Sundays at alternating locations. Examples of recent activities are Bowling, Escape Room followed by pizza, and the Halloween Hayride and Corn Maze. Upcoming events are posted in the Sunday bulletin. For more information, please see Mother Lisa. Please visit the Atlantic Convocation Youth Group on Facebook.
*** Our knitting group meets regularly on Thursday nights at 7 in the parish hall. Please check the Sunday bulletin or call the
office at 609-886-5960 for the date of their next get together.
*** We have free blood pressure readings between services on the first Sunday of each month.
*** If you or your group is interested in using our church hall on a one-time, short term, or long term basis, please speak with Mother Lisa or Leslie (609-886-5960). We'll be happy to help you.
*** Our music team appreciates new singers and musicians. Please join us! Rehearsals are on Thursday evenings from 6 to 7 in the church. We take part in the 10 AM Eucharist on Sunday mornings. For more info, please contact Anthony at 609-889-0667.
*** New Ideas: Do you have an idea or a talent? Perhaps there is something that pulls at your heart. Is there something that you would like to teach or an activity you might like to start up here at Saint Barnabas? Folks like you are how we start programs for each other and our community. If you have an idea, please don't be shy. Speak to Mother Lisa or someone on the vestry, but do speak up! Your light is too bright to hide.
*** Saint Barnabas Homemade Soup is being served! Vegetable, split pea, chicken noodle, and other varieties from time to time. No salt added. $4 a pint. Available on Sunday mornings or other times by calling the church at 609-886-5960.
*** Please bring your empty ink cartridges to church. There is a box for them in the narthex (church vestibule). Each empty cartridge helps us to offset the cost of office supplies. Thank you.
*** We have a small "honor system" library at Saint Barnabas. Church members and visitors are welcome to borrow books. Bookcases are in the hallway that connects our chapel and hall. There are religious and other types of books. Used and new book donations are appreciated.
2019 Calendar: Events at Saint Barnabas by-the-Bay for 2019 (Changes may occur.)
- January 27, Sunday, Saint Barnabas by-the-Bay Church Annual Parish Meeting
- March 1, Friday, World Day of Prayer (closest community service held at Saint Stephen
- Episcopal Church, Manchester Township, 2 PM)
- March 6, Ash Wednesday, "Ashes-to-Go" at Castaway Café, Villas, 8 to 11:30 AM. Holy
- Eucharist and Distribution of Ashes in church: at 12 Noon and 7 PM
- Stations of the Cross during Lent at 7 PM on Fridays
- Date and time to be announced: Spring Fix Up/Spruce Up Day
- Holy Week and Easter Services (April 14 to April 21)
- > Palm Sunday: Holy Eucharist with Blessing of Palm at 8 and 10 AM
- > Monday: Service of Brokenness and Wholeness at 7 PM
- > Tuesday: Holy Eucharist at 7 PM
- > Wednesday PM: Tenebrae at 7 PM
- > Maundy Thursday AM: Reconciliation (Confession): 10 AM-12 Noon, 2-4 PM
- Other times available by appointment.
- > Maundy Thursday PM: Holy Eucharist and Washing of Feet at 7 PM
- > Good Friday Service at 12 Noon
- > Good Friday Stations of the Cross at 7 PM
- > Saturday: The Great Vigil of Easter at 7 PM
- > Easter Sunday: Holy Eucharist at 8 and 10 AM
- April 20, Saturday, 12 Noon, Easter Egg Hunt for Kids
- May 19, Sunday, 3 PM, Musikhaus Studio Recital (in church)
- Date and time to be announced: Worship in the Park/Picnic at Zoo, with Saint Mary's
- June 11, Feast of Saint Barnabas the Apostle (transferred to Sunday, June 9)
- July 6, Saturday, 8:30 AM to 4 PM, Sant Barnabas WItness Table at Whale of a Day festival
- Dates and times to be announced: The Saint Barnabas Painters Summer Art Show
- August 17, Saturday, 10 AM, Back Pack Blessing
- Date and time to be announced: Fall Fix Up/Spruce Up Day
- Date and time to be announced: The Blessing of Animals
- November 28, Thursday, 9 AM, Thanksgiving Day Holy Eucharist
- Date and time to be announced: Annual Christmas Luncheon with Saint Mary, Stone Harbor
- December 22, Sunday, 11 AM, "Greening" (decorating) the church for Christmas
- December 24, Christmas Eve: 4 PM - Holy Eucharist Service for Children and Families
- 5 to 9:30 PM - Saint Barnabas Christmas Party in our hall
- 10:30 PM - Festive Holy Eucharist
- December 25, Christmas Day: 9 AM - Holy Eucharist with Carols